Sunday, June 9, 2013

The KAIROS of Leadership

I was inspired to write this piece after attending a mass in the Parish of Don Bosco in Makati City. The homily of the priest-celebrant was all about LIFE. Life as we know it is a gift from God and should not be abused in a manner that will endanger its sanctity. I reflected and remained silent for a moment and realized that my life in the ministry of leadership (nation building) is worth sharing with others.

The Advent
I was frequently invited to numerous leadership training and conferences, and I find this question very common of them all - "How did you start as a leader?" My answer will always be the same, I told them, "I don't know, it comes out naturally and poof! I just woke up one morning enjoying helping other people to be the best they truly can be.". To me, leadership must be a common knowledge or skill that is meant to be shared with other people. The coming of this gift to my life maximizes the opportunity to help my fellow youth achieve their full potential. 

Candid Leadership
Allow me to share this story with you, one time I was moderating a panel discussion of invited guests who are leaders in their own sphere of influences speaking in front of an audience who are participants to an annual leadership camp we are organizing in the Central Luzon region. I asked the panelists, "For whom/what you rise in the morning? (Para kanino/saan ka bumabangon sa umaga?)" It came from a popular ad from a coffee brand. One of them answered, "For those who believe in me that I can do something, that something that can make a difference and can infect a lot of changes in our community."  I was so shocked hearing that answer, to me, asking that kind of question is somehow to lighten the mood of the discussion but what I got is a very inspiring piece candidly sealed and delivered right into our midst. 

That opportune moment...
Kairos is an ancient Greek word meaning the right or opportune moment (the supreme moment). To the sophists (the wise men of the ancient world), it is an ability to adapt to and take advantage of changing, contingent circumstances. And the whole point of this essay is to help you how to identify your Kairos in your personal struggle and challenge to escape leadership into your life. I was once told by my mentor and I quote "Darren, worry not about other things that does not matter in your life, instead, learn how to love. Remember, what is significant is the love coming out of you and not the one everyone has for you. Because by truly loving the person [people], that is the love that really makes a difference.  

We are all given a chance to be of great help to other people. Most of us desired to be great leaders. But only a few of us realized how to wait for God's perfect time - waiting for the Kairos of our life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment